Content – Aim of the course
The aim of this course is twofold: a. to present the main structure of the research paper, with the purpose of familiarizing students with its main linguistic and conceptual characteristics and b. to develop the students’ skills, in relation to the organization and management of sources as well as to promote their academic writing skills, through relevant tasks and examples.
The teaching material is based on topics that closely relate to the content of studies in the Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology. It is designed upon the intention to prepare students to effectively deal with the writing of scientific texts relating to the wider research areas of their discipline.
Upon successful completion of this course, the students will be able to:
- Be aware of the main structure of a scientific paper
- Recognize and use basic syntactic and vocabulary structures, which are characteristic of the academic writing discourse in English
- Describe research methods and results
- Search for and select valid and suitable sources
- Synthesize information from the available literature, by thinking critically and avoiding plagiarism
- Recognize the various reference systems and report the references at the end of the paper